Technical Services Upgrade
Open Universities Australia
Head Office – Docklands, Melbourne www.open.edu.au
200+/60,000 active (250,000+ client base)
Program (Budget: $4M)
Increaserevenue by customers successfully completing their online enrolments by simplifying the End-to-End enrolment process underpinned by a cloud infrastructure and remain regulatory compliant
Technical Services –Oracle PeopleSoft v9.2 upgrade
Oracle People Soft v9.2 upgrade & Cloud Deployment
This University is the leading online higher education provider in Australia since 1993 with degree offerings from Australia’s leading universities. They have helped 250,000+ with their education and career goals.
Cloud9 was engaged to assist in the upgrade of Oracle PeopleSoft v9.2 (ERP) as part of their revamped digital student end-to-end enrolment process. The engagement was carried out utilising a hybrid Agile delivery approach with multiple vendors (Avanade for Web/UX, BlueWolf for Salesforce,Bryte for Data Architecture, LeapFrog for Course/content management and Base2 for Infrastructure DeveOPs) system integrators as well as SME’s.
From an upgrade perspective, Cloud9 was commissioned to perform the following:
- Assist in configuring Amazon Web Services (AWS) Virtual Machine images to run the PeopleSoft 9.2 / PeopleTools 9.55 application.
- Install and configure the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions 9.2 Image 5 application and deploy a Demo environment for reference and a System environment for upgrade development.
- Configure separate Web / App / Bat / ElasticSearch server instances to allow for horizontal scaling of servers.
- Provide Environment Management services to provision the necessary Development, Testing and ultimately Production environments.
- Data Migration of identified data from current version environments into upgrade version environments, with necessary data transformation and manipulation.
- Opted not to continue Oracle Support during the upgrade to save on costs, meaning access to application / technical patches and other support knowledge bases and support requests was not possible.
- Opted to provision AWS instances using CentOS Linux rather than RedHat Linux to save on costs. This was not a certified operating system and issues were encountered during initial installation and configuration tasks.
- AWS Database Cloud was not readily accessible for database creation / cloning tasks with dependencies on staff for assistance, often delaying environment creation.
- Delays by other vendors in the project meant that full integration testing was extremely limited, directly impacting on the accuracy of the data migration / transformation process.
Cloud9 worked with internal teams (Oracle Database Administrator, Network Administrator, Windows Engineer, Active Directory Administrator) and Managed Service providers (BASE2) to:
- Provision cloud formation processes that allow for the scripted creation of scalable Web/App/Bat/ElasticSearch servers for each environment according to parameters.
- Scripted configuration of Web/App/Bat/ElasticSearch domains for application use.
- Creation and population of Oracle Database from cloned images.
- Manual upgrade processes including:
- People Tools Upgrade to Copy of Production to use as Data Migration source
- Data Migration scripts to extract from Data Migration source and import into new Upgrade target
- Fully scalable environment in which each server type can be re-provisioned and auto-scaled both manually and by event (i.e. server outage, performance threshold).
- Scripted creation of application domains to allow servers to function as part of the environment automatically.
- Detailed documentation of both manual environment build and data migration processes, as well as automated Cloud Formation procedures.